RE: Hard Drive Motors, RSGs and Stuff

Great idea! I have a permenantly twisted finger from an old Tascam 16 track
biting me a few years ago :) Those motors have a ton of torque, but no sync
(that's why we have capstans and pinch rollers)

The drives off of the AS-400 we tore apart used regular 220 input to the
drive itself and the power supply for the motor was at 110 so direction
isn't an issue there, but the BIG ones I can remember hearing about. I was
born too late for that though. :)

We have made a great ASRG from a pair of SUPER efficiant 0-50 VDC motors
scrounged from a "Washing Machine" IBM tape drive. Also in this drive, the
Capstan motor is a VERY unusual thing capable of incredible speeds and may
be interesting for light duty in a high speed ASRG. It spins faster than a
dremel and has usable torque, but not too much.

Original poster: "Basura, Brian" <brian.basura-at-unistudios-dot-com>