Subject: Hard Drive Motors, RSGs and Stuff
Author:  "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> at INTERNET
Date:    7/17/00 12:22 PM

Original poster: "Troy Peterson" <highvoltage-at-mad.scientist-dot-com>

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted to this list, but coiling has been good
for
me. While I am still looking for a solution to my capacitor problem (Bottles
are too lossy and big for my coil, but thats all I have...) Some other
questions have finnally gotten the better of me. Firstly, what exactly is the
diference between a syncronise RSG and an Asyncronous RSG. I have an idea: it
has to do with firing, a sync gap always fires on the peaks or something, but
please elaborate.
Also, how do you guys think a hard drive motor would work for a RSG? The motor
I am referring to is a stepper motor that runs on 12volts, very compact,
consisting 10cm outer disk for mounting and a rotating cylinder in the middle
of this, the whole thing is about 3m long. If the specs for a typical hard
drive are to be believed, these motors are capable of atleast 3600 RPM.
    My next question is of line frequency, just a point of curiosity, what
would happen if the primary xformer was driven with 120VAC at a much higher
frequency like 400Hz, I don't plan to try this, just curious.

I think thats all for now,
Regards, Troy Peterson [VE7SOK]
<mailto:highvoltage-at-mad.scientist-dot-com>highvoltage-at-mad.scientist-dot-com