Re: Strange shock (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ed Phillips" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

>         Based on my observation here, the charge is stored in the varnish
over
> the windings.  Typical example is when I run my hands over the surface
> of a small coil with heavy shellac layer on it.  I get multiple "shocks"
> as my hands move to various places on the outside of the coil.  Similar
> to the effect I get when I use the VDG to store charge on a piece of
> sheet plastic.  Can't imagine any other possible storage mechanism.

Without any doubt. The grounded secondary coil attracts charges created
by streamers/sparks to the surface of the varnish covering the coil,
where they stay until slowly drained by leakage resistances, or by
someone touching the coil. A good shock can be probably obtained if
someone touches the secondary wire (or the top terminal) and the surface
of the secondary simultaneously (obviously after turning the coil off!).
Try to use a VDG to charge a piece of sheet plastic while holding your
hand at the back of the sheet (making a ground connection similar to
what the secondary coil does), and then touch the face of the plastic
that was charged by the VDG. For a greater effect, try the same with a
metalized (at one side, that you touch) plastic sheet.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz