From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2000 9:18 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Form Material Info!!!

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>

> I believe ABS means-
> Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene
> ....... but of course, I could be wrong!

Nope.. you're right..

> I have used this stuff for a secondary tube in the past.... it
> seems pretty ideal, but I've only been able to get in it short
> lengths, in white, in a tumble dryer wall venting kit.
> Are there such things as ABS drainpipes? Are those brown-
> coloured drainpipes made of ABS ?

Yes... in the US, DWV (Drain Waste Vent) pipe is typically black in color
and is made from foamed ABS with a solid ABS skin (foamed for lighter
weight and less cost.. air is cheaper than plastic). Terrible stuff for HV
use: 1) The black is from carbon black added to the plastic (for UV
inhibition?), but also makes it a terrible insulator (don't go making a Van
deGraaff machine with it) and 2) The foamed core is really bad for HV, it
arcs even easier than free air. (Found this one out the hard way...)

> And perhaps you could tell me- is Polycarbonate, what we
> in the UK call "Perspex" ?

Lexan is a tradename for Polycarbonate.  Perspex is acrylic (aka
Plexiglas).