Re: secondary coil form materials

In a message dated 7/14/00 3:46:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  I don't understand.  Unless I'm seriously missing something, a "static" gap
>  _will_ break at 120 b/sec, at least on a 60 Hz power line.  Is the ability
>  to adjust the phase between the breaks and the power-line zero-crossings
the
>  relavant issue?
>
>                          Puzzled,
>
>  PS -- Nice toroids!  I'll remember you as a source.

Thanks d.  A static gap can break at just about any bps on a 60 Hz
power line.  Maybe I should add some more info that explains that
at my webpage.  If the power is great for the size of the cap, or the
spark gap narrow, the cap will be able to charge up and fire multiple
times during each ac half cycle giving a bps that's higher than 120.
Also, static gaps tend to fire erratically; not at a pure 120 bps, but
may fire at a mixture of 120 and 240 bps, etc, with firings skipped,
at times, etc... very erratic.

The ability to adjust the phase as you said, and also the steadiness
of a sync gap's firing, are the relevent issues.  The ability to adjust
the phase, and the way that the electrodes move into position, lets
the voltage build up higher using a sync gap.

Cheers,
John Freau