Re: Public display of a Coil....HELLLPP !!

As I am sure you will hear... it is a nightmare, from a
regulatory/insurance standpoint.
First off, there aren't any LAWS prohibiting Tesla Coils, per se. What you
have to worry about is the usual "creating a hazard" kinds of things.
Actually, as you have noticed, the big hurdle will be the insurance company
(or the folks who are worried about liability and want the insurance
company to cover it).
Insurance cover for a Tesla coil is massively expensive, if even available
(Talk to Jeff Parisse, who does this professionally for special effects,
and DOES have insurance).

Some general comments
1) you'll never get UL approval (or any other approvals, for that matter).
What UL spec would they test to?
2) There's no LEGAL requirement for certifications... just the liability
concerns, so the exhibitor's attorneys (and insurance company) will
determine what you need.
3) Tesla coils ARE relatively safe when properly displayed.. very few
fatalities have been reported, and none for spectators, just operators...
this is what you have to convice the folks of.
4) The effect on pacemakers is somewhat open to dispute... There aren't any
controlled studies, and just a few anecdotal reports one way or the other.
I note that there are many permanent displays of tesla coils, in museums
and such, and I haven't heard any warnings for wearers of pacemakers at the
ones I've seen.

IN any event, you will NEVER be able to PROVE that your coil is safe (any
more than you could prove a loaded gun is safe).  The safety is in the
operator.. that's you... and whether folks thing you are responsible and
able to absorb the liability if something goes wrong. All you can do is
point to lots of other instances where coils were displayed with no ill
effects, and hope for the best.

All the above is my opinion......