Re: Strange shock (fwd)

Antonio:

While it may be true that ionized air store pockets of
charge heavily insulated coils have significantly
higher distributed capacitance resulting in a lower Q.
This distributed capacitance coupled with the terminal
capacitance is what accounts for the an inductor's
self resonant frequency. To find the value of the
distributed capacitance one must measure the coils
self -resonant frequency and inductance. This can then
be applied to the coil's series resonance formula to
determine the coil's distributed capacitance value.
Note this is to be done without the terminal
capacitance. The distributed capacitance will be seen
not to be as low as you might think. Secondarily, the
charge in the coil is minute until the larger
capacitance offered to the coil by touch is presented
by the human body. The result is an in-rush of current
to stabilize the voltage. This in-rush (reactive
effect)is often much higher than the residual charge
which accounts for the formation of a spark. This is
the phenomena of a capacitor anyway. That is a
capacitor will supply any current necessary to keep
the voltage across its terminals at equilibrium. It
doesn't create energy it just generates current as a
function of time. In otherwords, I can generate 0.5
Coulombs per second or use the same charge to generate
0.5 Coulombs per millisecond. The rate is determined
by the value of the capacitance while charge can
remain constant.

What does his coil resonate at anyway 250KHz? 100KHz?
What's the value of his inductance? What is the value
of the capacitance needed to cause his coil to
resonate at that frequency with that value of
inductance? Not so small. This is why F.E. Terman
states mathematically that the highest Q helical
resonantor is found when the winding length of the
coil is equal to or less than its diameter.

Dan