[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: breakdown of hydrogen

Here is a link I believe from Jim Lux.

http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~jimlux/hv/insulgas.htm

It talks about the breakdown voltage of some different
gases, including hydrogen.  It states that it is about
65% that of air at STP.

I have had a lot of fun making and playing around with
hydrogen, even though it will not likely explode on it's
own in normal air.  You put a spark or a flame to it and
it will definately ignite/explode.  The article above
goes into more detail.  It apprears that less than
5% oxygen and you will be okay.  ie) I have taken
a full glass bottle of hydrogen and attempted to
ignite it in standard air.  Very very difficult to
get it to ignite because there is no oxygen in the
bottle to react with it.  However it does give you
a very slow burning fire ring inside the bottle that
can last up to 5 minutes, very interesting to look
at.  However if you take a 1/4 bottle of hydrogen and
the rest plain air.  It will ignite with a vengenance.
Looks like a rocket engine for a split second.

I am looking forward to hearing how your hydrogen gap
works out, sounds very interestings!

Cheers,
Bill Parn