[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MMC

At 10:20 PM 01/10/2000 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi, could someone just drop me a line and fill me in on the meaning of
>"MMC". I'm seeing this abbreviation a lot lately, applied to both caps and
>whole systems, but I don't recognize it as a standard abbreviation for
>anything engineering related.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Adam
>adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net

Hi Adam,

MMC = Many Mini Capacitors
    = Multiple Mini Capacitors

This is basically just using around 100+ small high voltage poly caps put
together in series and parallel to produce a single high voltage high
current cap useful in Tesla coils.  It has many advantages such as cost,
ease of construction, availability of parts, and it can be built to be very
reliable.

EMMC = Enhanced Multiple Mini Cap
     = Experimental Multi Mini Cap

This one uses as few as possible mini caps that are run over their voltage
and current ratings.  Hopefully, such a cap would give acceptable life and
save a lot of money over a truly well designed cap.

EEMMC = Experimental Enhanced Multi Mini Cap

This is a cap that may have very few mini caps in it.  It is basically used
for destructive testing.  Sort of a test bed to determine what failure
modes MMCs can fail in and to study the characteristics of those failures.

Cheers,

	Terry