[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla magnifying transmitter

Lightning is typically about 100 kJ/meter energy, currents are around 20 kA
(although much larger strokes have been recorded (no easy feat to measure
lightning current, BTW)). Typically about 2.5 Coulombs of charge is
transferred in a few tens of uSec.  The voltage drop works out to something
like 1 kV/meter along the return stroke, so for a 5 km long stroke, you're
looking at 5 Megavolts, HOWEVER, voltage isn't a very relevant measure for
lightning, since one end of the phenomenon is sort of diffuse (a cloud).

More at http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~jimlux/lfacts.htm and even more in
Uman's book (which is only $10, and highly recommended for anybody playing
with HV)