[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

First Light and Neon Wanted

Hi All,
         I've just fired up my re-engineered little coil.  As it was
proving impossible to find the space to run my big coil I though I'd give
the little one a blast.
The new system uses a larger than resonant primary cap, 42nF, and a 6/60 neon.
The spark gap was a single static type - but a very nice one, huge
heatsinks, radiused brass electrodes and a 50W centrifugal blower.

I brought power onto the system and it seemed to work fine - the gap
sounded like a harrier, and as well as the streamer output was about 18"
which ain't to shabby for a 6/60 neon on an untuned first run.
Then I tapped out another turn and put a small 2" chord toroid onto it.   I
brought the power on and the gap seemed more reluctant to fire, firing at
about 80% voltage.  When it did fire a really hot white arc came off the
corona suppression ring and down onto the primary tapping clip.  Then
silence, apart from a buzzing from the neon xfmr.  I killed the power and
then disconnected and tested the nst - one side of the sec. was dead.

As a result of this I have decided not to bother with neons any more and
use a DC supply, the one from my big coil probably.  Any advice on how to
stop this happening again would be appreciated. particullarly with ref to
preventing strikes from pri. to sec.

Regards
Nick Field