[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What happens in series caps? (MMC)

Scott! and Mike. N (I will also post this to the pupman list)

Thanks for a good explanation, I will try to be more presice about, what
I don`t understand about the middle plates:

Let`s say that we have got 2 identical stacks of capacitors. The one of
them is simply capacitors in series, the other has shunt resistors
added.

In the array with the resistors, these resistors will divide the voltage
so that the intermediate plates are lifted to a potential, proportional
to their relative position in the stack. I assume that the plates are
supplied with electrones flowing in the resistors to do this.

In the unshunted stack of capacitors, I would assume that the
intermediate plates would also be on similar increasing potentials, from
zero at the bottom to max. at the top, but how? Where do the electrones
come from, to build the necessary charge. Are they pulled off from the
dielectric?

Since an unshunted capacitor stack is known to be able to leave charge
in the middle capacitors, it is hard to understand, that this charge is
able to _get_ there when the caps gets charged, but unable to get away
again when the cap is discharged.

Cheers, Finn Hammer