[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Nathan's Problems Continue...

Hi Nathan,

One more comment........

>One possible problem is that I measure about a kilo-ohm of resistance
>from the places on the toroid to the ground.  I have a good ground rod,
>and am using several lengths of 3/16" copper wire to connect to it.
>It's 8 feet galvanized, and is connected also to a large chain link
>fence next door. Heh heh heh!  So i think I have a good ground.

I would be careful here, because if it is NOT a good ground for some
reason or another, your coil WILL raise the potential of the fence
above ground. Some innocent bystander *might* get more than an
unpleasant surprise, if he touches the fence while you are running the
coil. Whether or not this is a good RF ground really depends on the
surface and on the composition of the earth. One way to test this, is
to take a simple NE-2 lamp. Connect one end to the fence and the
other to a normal household ground. If the lamp lights at ALL (best
seen at night of course, but be careful), you´ve got a bad RF ground
and I would discontinue using the fence.

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard