[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: SG questions cont'd + power factor

In a message dated 1/4/00 7:41:16 PM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>>>The large inductance (I am not sure if we agree at all what the inductance
 is ;-)) of the transformers secondary stores a large amount of energy in
 the form of current.  Just like a capacitor stores energy in the form of
 voltage.  LTR systems are timed with sync gaps (some have gotten it to work
 with static gaps too) and have carefully chosen primary cap values to
 optimize their ability to use as much of the stored inductive energy in the
 transformer as possible to help charge these large caps.  Basically this
 inductance wants to keep the current at a constant level so it "pushes"
 extra current into the cap.<<<

Hi Stan, Terry,
May I please protrude into this discussion. Trying to determine the secondary
inductance of a NST is just what I have been matching wits with. Do I have to
spend
$31,000 for a HP LCR bridge?  I used the Wavetek 27-XT to measure Lp at 0.113
Henrys. Is this a valid measurement? You may have also noticed that several
of the
postings on this subject all assume values either for XL sec or Lx sec which
solve to
a 60 Hz Fres using a 0.025 uF cap. Fres is 60 Hz and Lx is 312 H. If an LTR
system means larger than 60 Hz my problem is solved. I finally understand
that we don't care what Lx sec is and simply rely on its large value to
charge the cap in a
LTR system. That's what you said and if I got this right,  I have gone thru
an epihanous moment.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman