[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: SRSG firing problems

If you are running a sync RSG with a 15/60 power supply and a 10nF
capacitor, you are definitely over-volting your capacitor (and your NST
won't like it any better)!  And if your cap is constructed with just two 24
mil poly dielectrics in series, I think it's probable that your cap is
shorting.  Such a short may or may not be evident with an ohm meter.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA

		Original Poster: "Nathan Ball" <nateburg-at-hotmail-dot-com>

		Hello, all

		Now I've run into more problems.  I hooked up my coil again
(finally!) and
		ran it with my new SRSG. It fires for 1 or 2 presentations,
then stops and
		won't start again. The transformer (15/60) is still buzzing,
and I can hear
		the wires I run it through to the coil buzzing too like they
do normally,
		but the gap won't fire.

		I tried out the setup without my rotary, with my RQ gap on
about 9 sections.
		  0.003" spacing.  I got good strong 9" of output, which
unfortunately is a
		new record.  Too bad.  I would much rather have the new
record be 30 or 40",
		breaking my previous of 8".  :(

		I am now running it with 10nF of capacitance.  I really
think I should be
		getting more output if I can get the darn rotary to fire.

		Does anybody know what I could do to make it work?  I don't
appear to be
		getting any breakdown in the caps (at least the one in the
tupperware bucket
		I can see), and have run it again and again, turning it on,
(Bang! rotary
		fires 1 or 2 presentations, then stops) and off.  Then on
again, same thing,
		and off.  the transformer is buzzing all the while.  Shoot!
the electrodes
		are WELL withing firing distance.

		What should I do?  If I can get the rotary to work, then I
can start trying
		to add more primary turns and tune it further.  But until
then, I am feeling
		a bit at a dead end.

		Thank you!

		regards,