[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Doorknob caps

Hi Phil,

	This is rather late but...

It is very hard to say if a particualar doorknob cap is high current AC
rated or not.  However, in your case, perhaps you could simply buy one and
connect it into your coil's tank circuit in parrallel with the regular cap
(with a slight retuning).  Turn it for a while, torture it a bit, and see
if it burns up.  If it stays cool and seems to work fine then you may have
a great bargin there...

One little indication is if it says 30kV or 30kVDC.  If they say "30kVDC"
it is NOT a good AC cap.  If it just says "30kV" then chances are fairly
good it is a trasmitting type.  Transmitting caps will also "look" like a
fairly high quality device with big end terminals.

I know TDK made some brown colored caps in that range (I have one).  It
works just fine in TC use...

Cheers,

	Terry