[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Liquid Capacitor

Seriously,

This whole concept is non-viable and fraught with hazard.

1) I assure you that the voltages are well beyond the necessary levels to
cause redox reactions in the Hg and the aqueous copper sulphate solutions.
For example, the Hg will ionize and you can expect some degree of chemical
reaction with the oil by the Hg, Cu and SO4 ions.

2) If the you apply the anode to the Hg, the Cu2+ ions will readily migrate
through the oil under the influence of the electrical field. So much for
insulation. It's called electrophoresis.

3) If you reverse the polarity it's even worse. The sulphate and Hg will
both migrate and the entire aqueous phase and the oil too will all certainly
become poisonous.

4) In fact, by imposing the current on the phases, you are basically
creating a battery of sorts. The energy will not be stored entirely in the
field as desired, but in the changed chemistry of the several phases, which
will not have the desired instantaneous relaxation of potential.

5) Not to mention the toxicity of mercury vapor. I know of an individual who
made his family's house unihabitable for three months by boiling mercury in
his garage. (Not to mention the three days he spent in the hospital being
detoxed.) Can you be sure that no heating will occur in your cap?

--
|  .o888b.`?888         Bryan L. Kaufman, MD, MS         8888P .d888o. |
|.88888888  ?88 Vice President of Technology Development 88P  88888888.|