[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST robustness

<<
> Have you found any evidence that a 15kV NST dies more readily
> than a 12kV NST if the gap is set only to, say, 15kV?  I'm interested
> in the idea that the higher voltage transformer might have thinner
> wire despite an identical current rating. If they had the same size
> wire and core however, I think your argument sounds quite plausible.

> Regards,
> Malcolm >>

Hi Malcolm,

I generally set my safety gaps to 7/16" using the 12/30 NST's, and
have had no failures, but when I used the same setting for a 15/30,
it failed quickly.  This was just one case, so it's not much evidence,
but it started me thinking.  The wire may be the same thickness,
since it's the same current, I don't know.  I opened a bunch of 12
and 15kV blown NST's to salvage the core metal, but I didn't
measure the wire.  The cores seemed to be the same, or very
similar.

Regards,
John Freau