[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First Pole Pig TC in Germany??

Hi Kristian, all,

>Original Poster: "Kristian Ukkonen" <kukkonen-at-cc.hut.fi>
>> Original Poster: "Reinhard Walter Buchner" <rw.buchner-at-verbund-dot-net>
>> fed with 3 phase. The smallest 3 phase pig I could find
>> was a 50kVA unit.

>It is the same here in Finland as well (3-phase pigs) but
>the smallest size is 16kW..

I have just heard from someone in the U.K. that they are
phasing out all pigs smaller than 15kVA. Maybe they did
something similar in Germany, before I started asking
around for pole pigs ;o((

>Actually, if you are _serious_ about getting a pig (ie.
>have space to run a large coil), it is not such a big
>deal to have a heavy pig.

Youīve gotta be kidding ;o)). I already get the "looks", when
I bring home assorted goodies (junk in everyone elseīs eyes)
and my neighbors give me some strange and skeptical looks,
when I setup and fire my 8" coil outside. I think Iīd have the
cops at my house in no time, if I were to bring a 50kVA pole
pig home and run my coil (or better: a larger one) with it.
There is also the problem that my basement has a large
concrete step near the door and I couldnīt wheel a pig over
it. I believe it was Bill Emery who did some very *minor*
modifications to his house in order to coil one step larger.
Iīm just not *that* crazy (yet ;o}).

>You just need to get rid of the fear of heavy objects. :)
{:o(x)))!!

>On the other hand, I'd guess that you could transport
>a 16kW 3-phase pig from Finland for under 100usd,
>not including pig cost. I have extra 3-phase variacs as
>well. :)

Sounds interesting. I might come back to that generous
offer, if I canīt get a single phase pig. Thanks. Got any
idea, what the pig would cost?

>> PTīs, which have a 100V LV side. Other PTīs used to
>> measure the 21kV line are of low power (50-100W) only,
>> so they are no good for TC useage. They are built like a
>> rock and I bet you could get 800W-1kVA from them for
>> short periods of time, but I can get that kind of power
>> from a NST, so its not really worth the trouble (other
>> that they have a high BIL)

>At least the PTs here in Finland (I have found two of them,
>100V primary) are rated for 100W as well, but that is the
>rating at the specified accuracy class. It is _NOT_ the
>power rating of the core/windings.

Yes, I am aware of that (which is why I said you can get
800-1kVA out of them). Sorry if I didnīt phrase it to the
point, but I can get that kind of power (actually 2.7kVA)
out of my 75mA NSTs. At the 1275VA, I am running right
now, they donīt get any warmer than under normal 75mA
operating conditions, so the PTs, I mentioned above, are
of no real improvement (other than that they have a higher
BIL rating, but I have yet to lose an NST to coiling work
and I run no safety equipment other than a 3 piece safety
gap).

We have the coiling cap pretty much problem solved. Now
if only someone could solve the transformer problem in a
similar fashion, we would be set ;o)).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard