[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DC vs AC TC (was Re: NST->DC Re: CGA Monitor Flyback)

Hi All,
          my comments:

> Original Poster: "Marco Denicolai" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs.fi>

> >To make a DC Tesla coil using a NST, can I use HV rectifiers on the NST
> >secondary side? Or is this a bad idea with NSTs?
Nope - It'll work fine, just make sure you over rate the rectifier to cope
with the transients, an LCR filter wouldn't be a bad idea either.

> There is NO BENEFIT in my knowledge using a DC tank instead of an AC tank.
> Others correct me please if I am wrong.
I disagree, there are substantial benefits both for component stress and
user friendliness.
For starters the transformers and other power supply circuitry are far less
stressed by high voltage transients, meaning they will last longer.
There is no phase dependance in the charging circuit, you get exactly the
break rate you dial in, this is particullarly important at high break rates
where a large number of breaks will not happen in an ac circuit.
The charging voltage can be controlled and measured very precisely, not of
too much use but nice to know.

Although the beneifts aren't that great I personally go with a DC system
because it removes some of the complexity from the circuit and makes the
whole thing a bit more user friendly.

Regards
Nick Field