[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: shopping :) and a little tinkering

In a message dated 2/22/00 4:19:04 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

- snip -
<<
 Making preps this evening for "Second Light" tomarrow, and would like some
 advise/tips. Here's the proposed setup.

 15/60 NST
 .0125 uF SW
 6X24" 22AWG sec at 1.5" above primary for 1st turn
 10.5"ID 15 turn .25" Cu spaced -at- .25" Primary (we added 20' for another 3
 turns) ANYONE KNOW A GOOD WAY TO SPLICE THINWALL TUBEING FOR THIS
 APPLICATION? We flared (ripped) one piece and slipped it into the other, but
 it's not very good and looks like poo.
 multiple static gap (this is a definition of Kludge :)) We placed a few
 bolts in a piece of UHMW with short bits of 10AWG solid wraped around them
 with the ends pointing up and gapped apart to the next one :) We have 4 or 5
 gaps.
 It's rough, but it should work.
 18X4" Toroid
 Flagpole for a RF ground.

 Alright, any ideas? Expected output? (we have a pool going....lol)

 I have $5 on 14"

 Have fun campers :)
 Chris "rewired the lab today, just call me Sparky" Boden >>

Chris,

A good way to splice copper tubing is to find a short piece of tubing that
just fits inside the tubing that you are working with.  Use pliers to distort
the short piece so it fits tight into the larger tubing, slip the second
piece of tubing on so the ends but up tight and apply flux and solder.  Wipe
the solder off while it is hot (just like soldering plumbing, except use
rosin flux) and you won't even be able to see the splice when you are done.

Ed Sonderman