[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST->DC Re: CGA Monitor Flyback ???

Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> on 22.02.2000 15:03:06

To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
cc:    (bcc: Marco Denicolai/MARTIS)
Subject:  NST->DC Re: CGA Monitor Flyback ???

Original Poster: "Jan Florian Wagner" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

>As to the frequency, if you have the driver circuitry and all, the flyback
>will run at some kHz - personally I got best output at about 7kHz, but
>some claim these things will run in the order of 100s of kHz.

Hello.

I have been playing some weeks ago with a TV flayback for my kid's plasma
globe.

I had it fed by a TV transistor, driven by a variable oscillator, using only 60
VDC. I found maximum output at 8 kHz and 16 kHz.

I guess this is simply the resonance frequency at its windings plus the
capacitor typically in parallel with the driving transistor. At that frequency
current consumption was only 50 mA (RMS), so nearly no heatsink needed (!).

Going far from those frequencies (I tried up to some 50 kHz, down to 1 kHz) I
got either sensibly lower output (one tenth or less), higher supply current (1
ampere or more) or both effects.

>When you connect the flyback directly to the mains, it will
>just act as a normal step up transformer, not like a flyback.

You got to explain this to me: a flyback primary is less than 10 ohms and it is
supposed to be supplied with pulses. Connecting it to the mains (in my opinion)
will simply result in a stinking smoke cloud within a few seconds. Am I wrong?

Regards