[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First Light for me :-)

> Original Poster: "Neal Whitaker" <NDWhitaker-at-Worldnet.att-dot-net>

Hi Neal,

I just replied to Bryan about John's spark length equation for input watts
and made a comment stating that sometimes my personal calc is right in-line
with his, and sometimes I'm way off. I threw in your coil specs (lot's of
info - thanks) and here is one of those coils where I am way off. According
to input watts, you "could" acheive 39.5 inches, but I came out to only 14
inchs. The reason? Because Ctop want's to be about 20pF for your system (~ 3
x Cself) and your salad bowls are about only 25% of this or less. It tells
me that your breaking out too early. I would recommend putting on a toroid
regardless of what you use somewhere around a 3" x 20" inch and tapping
somwhere around 10.3 turns. You have a nice set up and the power to charge a
larger top load. I would even go so far as to suggest doubling your cap size
to .025uF leaving the tap at 8 or so turns. I wouldn't go past 2.5uF though
as the effective energy will only decrease because the cap size starts to
roll off in available primary energy . I think you will get more out of this
cap size with 120 BPS operation and get you real close to the 35 - 40 inch
arc lengths. But save that for your MMC. If you build it right, you can get
a great deal of variation in capacitance values to play with. (Oh, no
protection circuit ideas here - haven't really needed one with a pig).

Bart