[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First Pole Pig TC in Germany??

Tesla List wrote:
> Original Poster: "Reinhard Walter Buchner" <rw.buchner-at-verbund-dot-net>
> > Original Poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
> Hehehe. Bad joke ;o)) Single phase pigs are almost
> non existent over here, because all households are
> fed with 3 phase. The smallest 3 phase pig I could find
> was a 50kVA unit.

It is the same here in Finland as well (3-phase pigs) but
the smallest size is 16kW..

> Needless to say, I passed it up, because
> there was no hope of transporting, storing or easily using
> such a monster.

Actually, if you are _serious_ about getting a pig (ie. have
space to run a large coil), it is not such a big deal to
have a heavy pig.

You just get it transported to your house (with a truck that has
a hydraulic "arm" lifter so it can lift the pig from truck bed and
lower it down whereever your want - my 1200 kg lathe was delivered
this way), and have previously built a platform for it (measured
pig before shipment) with wheels. After that, you just push
it around. Even at 1000+ kg, no problem at all. Another way
is to put it on a cargo pallet, get it transported to your
place (cheaper, virtually all small trucks have hydraulically
lowerable back platform for lowering stuff down to be moved with
pallet jack), and move it with pallet jack. My sem column weights
400+ kg and I easily move it with pallet jack alone.

You just need to get rid of the fear of heavy objects. :)

On the other hand, I'd guess that you could transport a 16kW
3-phase pig from Finland for under 100usd, not including pig
cost. I have extra 3-phase variacs as well. :)

> teeth and 6kV is on the low side. Most of these units are
> PTīs, which have a 100V LV side. Other PTīs used to
> measure the 21kV line are of low power (50-100W) only,
> so they are no good for TC useage. They are built like a
> rock and I bet you could get 800W-1kVA from them for
> short periods of time, but I can get that kind of power
> from a NST, so its not really worth the trouble (other
> that they have a high BIL)

At least the PTs here in Finland (I have found two of them,
100V primary) are rated for 100W as well, but that is the
rating at the specified accuracy class. It is _NOT_ the power
rating of the core/windings. Contact the company that
has manufactured the PTs and ask for the primary and
secondary winding wire diameter (or current rating).. The
core has plenty of crosssection..

> Regulatory issues can be a problem, but if you talk enough,
> you usually can bend the rules and get a HV xformer,

Acquiring/owing one is not illegal.. Using it, well.. :)

   Kristian Ukkonen.