[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: pig ballasting

Hi Chris,
             I agree with scott that inductive ballasting is the way to do
it, with a little series R to calm down the inductors a bit.  However the
way Scott suggested of doing the variable current limit is a bit inelegant.
The best way to do a simple variable current limit is to wind an inductor to
limit to the least power you think you're gonna need (maybe 5A for a 240V
pig system) with wire to cope with the most your gonna need (maybe 50A for a
240V pig system).  Then slot the holes for bolts which hold on the I piece
of the EI core.  Now all you have to do to change the current limit between
5 and 50 amps is to loosen the bolts and then move the I piece away from the
E then re-tighten the bolts, not forgetting to pack the core gap to stop it
from vibrating.

Regards
Nick Field