[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DC TC

Tom:
	DC tank circuits are a little more expensive due to the
rectifiers, but much easier to tune since there is no need to
synchronize to the 60Hz peaks.

With a very simple rotating gap arrangement (using a DC motor)
the coil can be run at rep rates of once per second or less to
the max that the system can handle, with lots of very interesting
sound effects and streamer effects.

The low rep rate is excellent for tuning since once the capacitor
bank charges, the line current drops to virtually nothing.

DC Tc's also make very small coils much easier to build.  My
smallest was a 6" tall, 2" diameter coil that produced very nice
2" to 4" sparks with almost no tuning at all.

There are also no safety gaps required.  The only major safety
item (besides common sense and good electrical hookup) is a
bleeder resistor(s) across the tank capacitor.  DC tank circuits
can hold totally lethal charges for a very long time without
the bleeder.  I built a direct-reading 15KV voltmeter that uses
20Mohm resistors that does a dandy job, and also displays the
voltage.

So far, with 110v, 15amp service, my 6.5" TC is generating 48"
sparks and I still have lots of interesting improvements and
innovations to go.

Take a look at my FTP site for pics, notes, schematics, sound
recordings, etc ... (I'll get them on a web page soon, but for
now  ...):

	ftp://ftp.mindspring-dot-com/users/ottalini/highvoltage

The current schematic is outdated.  I used a 2X multiplier in
that version that couldn't handle the current at 60Hz.  I'll
have an updated schematic to upload in a day or so.  I'll let
the list know when it's done.

Enjoy!
* Kevin Ottalini            *
* WhoSys / Who Systems      *