[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Splicing (was Re: weather influence on TC performance)

Hi Alex,

> Original Poster: "Alex Crow" <user-at-alexcrow.clara-dot-net>
> I just hope that wire-splice that Richie B told me about
>holds up - looks a little rough now but a few more varnish
>coats and I hope all should be OK.

Actually this is easy. Take the wire you want to splice to
and file off about 50% of the diameter (file it flat) along
the length of maybe a cm. Do the same for the wire you
will be adding. Donīt remove the enamel from the rest
of the wire (i.e.: only where you filed it flat). Apply a
minute quantity of solder to both filed parts and solder
them together. If done correctly you will have a hard time
finding the splice, esp if you donīt have your eyeball "glued"
(very near) to the former. Leaving the enamel on the wire
(where it is still round) prevents the solder from clinging to
the wire, which would be a dead give-away to a splice.
Filing it flat on both sides lets you splice w/o increasing
the diameter (another give-away) of the connection.

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard