[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: abreviations. now NST primary voltage

Hi Ralph,
               I take you to mean that because it is possible to burn the
pri out you must be able put more power into it with increased voltage?
The answer is that once the core saturates you can put as much power as you
like in and still get not much more than the design voltage out - most neons
will probably have saturated by 20% over voltage.
Another reason that the power you get out won't increase too much is that
the losses in a steel core get big fast above about 1.5T.

Regards
Nick Field

> <<  you
>  won't get any performance increase above about 135V ac into a neon -
beyond

> Nick,
> Can't you burn out the primary? My variac will do 140 V in a 120 V zone.
:-))