[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MMC Caps

Hi Robin,

> Original Poster: "Robin Copini" <rcopini-at-merlin-dot-net.au>

snip, snip, snip ;o)

> at 7.5 Kva - 2 to 3 very bright thick purple to white extremely
>loud and mobile streamers from the top toroid, range from 5
>to 7 feet with very occasional strikes to a ground rod ~ 8 to 9
>feet with no discharge point from toroid. at 10 Kva - one only
>incredibly LOUD!, (s**t, I had no idea when I made this thing
> that it could be so loud!) very mobile streamer ranging from
>7 to 11 feet from any point on the toroid, however now
>getting racing arcs full length of secondary about 1 every 4 to
> 5 secs. - I think I'm at the limit of the secondary.

I donīt think you are at the limit of a 10" secondary with 10kVA.
Have you tried using a *secondary* topload in addition to your
main toroid? I would add an additional toroid to further load your
coil. If the second toroid is a polished unit, then I would add a
small bump to propagate streamer breakout and I would play
around with the coupling a bit (lower it at higher kVA levels.)
This should allow your secondary to get rid (i.e: longer sparks)
of excessive energy before racing sparks appear.

Is there a relationship to streamer length and racing sparks?
I bet (okay rather guessing here) every (usually ;o)) time your
streamer length goes toward the 7 feet mark, you also get
racing sparks and you get racing sparks because of the shorter
arc length and not vice versa (shorter streamers because of
racing sparks) Am I right??

How did you prep and coat your secondary former?

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard

P.S: Great website. I still havenīt finished downloading it
completely......... time............

P.P.S: Next time you take pictures, zoom in on the arcs
(quite) a bit more. This should give you some fascinating
pictures (even if they donīt look that way during true
operation).