[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Vacuum motors.

Those motors came from American Science and Surplus.  I bought one and ended
up with 5 of them.  They are all factory rejects.  Most of them have a short
in the windings and will run fine if you run them on a reduced voltage.  The
first one I received went up in a cloud of smoke after about 10 seconds of
run time.  I complained and American Science and Surplus sent me another
one.  The second one arrived with one of the plastic brush holders broken
off and I could not fix it.  I complained again and American Science and
Surplus sent me a 3rd one.  This one was bad too and I complained again.
American Science and Surplus sent me 2 more and they both work fine.  One
over heats on 120 volts but runs fine on about 90 volts.

A few months ago we trashed a shop vac at work.  I removed the vac motor to
find it has the same motor I received from American Science and Surplus.  I
was surprised.  The bearings were bad in the motor but I saved it any way
because I can probably swap out some parts from one of my other motors to
fix it.  The shop vac came from Lowe's Lumber yard.  It was one of those low
cost units for about  $35.00.

I bought a $5.00 vaccuum cleaner at a yard sale.  The motor in it is not the
same motor from American Science and Surplus.  This motor will work fine
with a little re-design work on the spark gap, it sucks air out of the sides
of the case.

The American Science and Surplus motor is perfect of a spark gap because is
sucks air out of the end.  All you have to do is attach the American Science
and Surplus motor to the end of a 4" PVC pipe about 6" long and put it on a
4" toilet flange to hold it up.

Gary Weaver