[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Amperian EMP! (was Re: 'Glow' discharge)

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Friday, February 18, 2000 7:51 PM
Subject: RE: 'Glow' discharge

>Original Poster: "Sarah Thompson" <sarah-at-telergy-dot-com>

>The physics would seem to indicate that you can either go with a magnetic
>field and pull the power out of the electrodes, or go the opposite way
>around and pull the power out through the coil.

Magnetic coupling to coils is based on induction, changing magnetic fields
inducing voltages in coils.

>kinetic energy of the expansion in the gas caused by the heating associated
>with the ionisation will (to an extent) be picked up by the coil, just as
>the kinetic energy of the gas flow itself will be.

There is a very interesting paper at
http://www.df.lth.se/~snorkelf/Longitudinal/node1.html that talks about a
longitudinal magnetic component of current proportional to I^2. It has
occasionaly been talked about here before. In this case, an extreme pulse of
kilo-amps may be needed to magnetize a plasma solenoid, but the potential
for a serious, 100KJ Tesla coil that is pumped by resonant combustion may
exist! I've considered oscillating toroidal plasma bubbles which are
magneticaly heated, but keeping them hot with power RF > 50 MHz in an RF
freindly combustion chamber is more of a challenge than I want now. I prefer
to learn more before I make mistakes in expensive hardware. Without lots of
current (as in kiloamps) the plasma may not be viscous, like rubber, so the
pressurized exhaust will blow holes in it. Longitudinal magnetic fields
could greatly simplify the engine combustion flow and magnetic geometry
requirements.

Might also be able to make a neat little gizmo that fits on the barrel of a
gun like a silencer that, with the bullet removed from the cartrige, could
make a kilojoule EMP for EM metal forming (see
http://er6s1.eng.ohio-state.edu/~daehn/hyperplasticity.html and
http://www.usc.edu/dept/ise/NSF/proceedings/papers/MPM/daehn/ ) A great way
to make torroids and spheres? With EMP forming, the metal magicaly flows
around complex curves and can make seals, rather than tearing when stamped.

>What about high temperature gas (such as what comes out of a propane
burner,
>say, at maybe 500 - 1000C and probably already ionised to a certain extent)

>From what I hear, very poorly ionized and seeding with potassium, sodium or
better cesium ions is required. Hopefully one day I will learn enough about
plasma and computer simulation to design an AC MHD generator using
oscillating gas flows to blow microwave plasmoids in resonant cavities, an
EM dynamic rather than magneto-static design.

>It would probably be necessary to use tungsten for the
>electrodes and maybe some kind of ceramic or glass for the tube (maybe
>Teflon?)

Soda glass will become conductive when red hot, alumina (like in high
pressure sodium lamps) may work well. It has good thermal, high dielectric
constant and low RF loss, at least at low temperatures. Don't use Teflon, it
makes very toxic fumes when it burns IIRC 400 C.

> But if it works, it would be possible to build a very compact, efficient
electrical generator with no
>moving parts.

I realy doubt the efficiency, and moving parts would be supersonic flows and
acoustic/electromagnetic shocks that deform metals like chewing gum! But if
you can get even 5 percent of the energy from burning gasoline, you could
build a compact megawatt Tesla coil that could create tremendous lightning
bolts, laser beams, particle beams, electromagnetic metal forming,
thermonuclear ignition; oh the fun you could have ;-)

Scott