[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ideas......

Hi Chris,

At 06:44 PM 02/19/2000 +0000, you wrote:
>1. Will a flagpole make a good RF ground?

Yes,  they are designed to get hit by lightning so they have lightning rod
style grounding which is perfect.

>2. How many Amps are the various parts of a Tesla Coil carrying? Is 10AWG
>solid copper suitable for primary circuit interconnects?

That would be the minimum.

>3. What would the effects of useing a 10meter (Shakesphere brand) fiberglass
>antenna as a topload be? (I'll bet the neighbors *love* that idea......lol)
>just curious.

It would act much like any other long sharp rod.  However, the arcs will
burn through the fiberglass coating doing much damage.

>4. We have the bottom sec. wire dropping through a hole in the base (right
>next to the coil) then to a screw-clamp connector to a piece of 10AWG (to
>the NST ground) and a piece of 6AWG (the RF ground). Is this a good idea?

That's about what I use...

>5. If the RF ground has to be so large, why does the sec wire not melt from
>the amperage?

The current is maybe 10 amps.  The high frequency is the problem.  Thin
wire has high inductance and the skin effect further raises the resistance.
 the wire should also be able to ground out the AC wiring if something
should go seriously awry...

>6. Any ideas on how to apply power to 12VDC lights on the rim of a car wheel
>(think Batman)?

Eaakk!  Off-Topic...

Cheers,

	Terry