[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Spark Plugs

Since the plugs would be series-connected, you would be able to mount two
plugs on a heat sink, using the threaded terminals tied together via the
heat sink.  But I think the larger problem is that despite the heat sink,
the thermal resistance from either of the arcing surfaces to the heat sink
is very poor, and the points will be glowing-hot in no time.  Hot
electrodes, particularly if they have sharp edges and corners, will perform
very poorly.  Electrodes need to be massive to stay cool.  Also, the gaps
will wear MUCH faster than in automotive duty as they will be processing
MUCH more power.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA

>Original Poster: "Ted Rosenberg" <TRosen1-at-Tandy-dot-com
<mailto:TRosen1-at-Tandy-dot-com> >
>Power dissipation: Force fit or sandwich using nuts, each plug body in a
large, big finned (power transistor type) heat >sink. These are typically
3x4 inches.
>Align all plugs for most compact design in an enclosure. A spaced column
for example.
>Use 1 or more high speed muffin fans to blast air over all surfaces and the
tips of each plug.
>Use appropriate heavy duty wire to series connect.  Shield the enclosure
using close mesh and ground that to the RF >ground to reduce RFI.
>The benefit I see is an easily controlled gapping, convenience in mounting,
convenience in servicing.
>And what is a "small coil" these days? Mine is designed for a 15KV/60mA NST
>supply into a 6x24 secondary. Does that qualify? [no pigs allowed at my
home