[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Hydrogen and Capacitance

Sorry about the delay in responding, but It took me some time to find the
reference to this use. (and sometimes I actually work!)

But in 'Colorado Springs Notes 1899-1900' Tesla was discussing how to
increase the capacity of a surface.

" Suppose the surface was replaced with small spheres setting side by
side.  Neglecting mutual screening action, the new capacity would be 'n'
times one sphere.  As the sphere becomes smaller, the surface area
increases and the capacity becomes larger.   To get the largest possible
capacity, the spheres must be of the most minute size and can be
increased by evacuating the spheres!  What Dr. Tesla also found in
Colorado SPrings was that if the evacuated space was replaced with H2
gas, the capacity actually increased!  (There is some speculation that
the H2 in some circumstances can behave as a metal even though it is a
gas)  Tesla considered this to be "a valuable use in the future".

... more later .....

jim