[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toploads that bite

Date forwarded: 	Wed, 16 Feb 2000 12:13:56 -0700
Date sent:      	Wed, 16 Feb 2000 12:10:09 -0700
To:             	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:        	Re: Toploads that bite
Forwarded by:   	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
From:           	Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Original Poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
>
> In a message dated 2/15/00 6:04:51 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>
> <<   >>
>  > Ralph,
>  >
>  > Assuming the primary tap did not fall off and the coil was running
fine up
>  > until it was turned off, yes - the cap should be connected across the
> output
>  > windings of the high voltage transformer through the primary and should
>  > discharge in short order.
>  >
>  > Ed Sonderman
>  >
>  >

>  High Ralph (and Ed and all other coilers),
>
>  The reason that the tank capacitor does not discharge via de HV
>  transformer is that it will see (after ionisation of the air by a top of
>  the High Voltage 50 or 60 Hz sinus wave) a very low impedance
>  path through the Tesla primary coil. The apparent resistance for the
>  initiated radio wave pulse of the HV transformer secondary is much
>  to high (because of the high impedance of the secondary).
>
>  In a way you are right. Some current will flow back into the HV
>  transformer secondary if you disconnect the Tesla coil. In that
>  situation the capacitor is just a very small load for the 50/60 Hz
>  transformer.
>
>  Does this answer satisfy you?
>
>  Ruud de Graaf
>  Holland   >>
>
> Ruud,
>
> I am not exactly sure what you are saying here.  The primary capacitor in
the
> tank circuit will definitely be discharged by the resistance of the
secondary
> of the high voltage transformer when the system is turned off.  Again,
> assuming the transformer has not burned open, connections have not fallen
> off, etc.
>
> Ed Sonderman

Well Ed,

I just misunderstood Ralph. I didn't got the bleeding part and I'am
new in town, so forgive my miscalculation of somebody's expertise.
Of course you are right. I was talking about the On stituation.

Ruud de Graaf
Greetings from lovely and wet Holland