[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Reducing Self Resonance In Rolled Caps

Hi Bill,
           comments:
> I am still very new and learning, however here goes.
We're all learning, if we weren't we wouldn't be here.

> I have heard a lot about rolling caps, however there also
> appears to be size limitation due to self resonating
> qualities of rolled caps.  Can we just roll them using
> extended foil design so as to prevent self resonance?
Yes and no - the extended foil design has limitations as well - basically
you run out of foil width when the cap starts to get big.

The best way to get a high capacitance value is to build several units and
parallel them - this gives you better tuning flexibility as well.

> What I mean here is to extend the foil out
> the top of one plate and then extend it out the bottom
> of the other plate.  Roll it up and then bring all
> the foil at the top together and make a connection
> then do the same at the bottom.
If you want one big cap I'd go for a plate cap, they are easier to build and
don't suffer from the Lself problems of rolled caps.

> Has this been tried?
> If yes, What are the results?
> Would this prevent self resonance?
Yes - but the cap size is still limited.

Regards
Nick Field