[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 204 Tube Data

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com
>
> In a message dated 2/14/00 12:33:56 PM Central Standard Time,
> tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>
> << Enough about the 204
>
> Ed,
> That's a fascinating bit of history. May I please ask if you have any text
> material that takes you back that far? Could I get the same?
>
> Gerald Tyne in The Saga of the Vacuum Tube says that the manufacturer of the
> WW 1 era was Western Electric. No doubt other companmies also made tubes for
> the military.
>
> I think Herwig is convinced now that he has a triode and not a tetrode.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralph Zekelman

1. "Saga" was the source of part of the information I posted.  The
chapter on GE has it. I think.  Book is in the library.  Anyhow, look in
the index under UV-204 and you will find the reference.

2. The history on the original advertisements came from QST magazine.  I
have all original copies, plus the same thing on CD ROM.  If you're
interested in radio history, and particularly ham radio history, those
magazines are fascinating as you can follow the development of ham radio
(and really all radio) developments from pre-WW1 spark days on through
to world-wide communications on the ham bands.  The CD ROMS are about
$40 each, and it takes a number to cover all issues.  I'd start with the
first one, which covers from 1915 to about 1928.  To learn more go to
the ARRL web site:

	http://www.arrl-dot-org/
	http://www.arrl-dot-org/

	For the record, although I never met him personally, I corresponded
with Tyne from my high school days on for many years.  Correspondence
started before his original Saga series was published in Radio News (I
have all of those issues).  I still have all of his letters, plus a
couple of monographs on the AudioTron which predate the Saga series.  He
helped me find a lot of the tubes in my collection, and used to send WE
tubes as requested.  Neat guy.

Ed