[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Reducing Self Resonance In Rolled Caps

I don't believe that the ESL (equivalent series inductance for the
acronym-challenged) in a tank cap is a real problem in our Tesla Coil
application.  There was a thread on this List about a year ago discussing
the issues surrounding off-axis primary inductance.  The bottom line was
that off-axis  inductance really doesn't compromise performance, it merely
slightly reduces coupling.  I believe the same argument applies to a
capacitor's ESL.

Nothing can prevent self-resonances.  Your primary coil has its own
self-resonant frequency, and so does every piece of wire in your tank
circuit.

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA