[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Got my first coil running!!

> Original Poster: "Jon Lagler" <rockcrawl-at-netzero-dot-net>

Hi Jon,
Congrats on your coil! There's nothing like the first time (except the second,
third, etc..).
18" is excellent for a 30mA NST. Depending on the coil, the tuning can be
very hard
to find or very easy. You will find that if you tap too far out, the spark
length
decreases. How far out (1 turn, 2 turns, etc.) kind of changes your tuning
method.
Some coils (due to specs) can go out of tune quickly (1/2 turn or less).
These (in
my opinion) are easier to tune in since the resonant peak is narrow and
easier to
"distinguish" the right setting. There are coils that don't seem to change
(over 1
or more turns). These are obviously harder to tune in to the exact spot
that would
be considered ideal. On the other hand, if the sparklength doesn't change
over one
turn one might consider this easier since the peak is wider (as long as you
fall
somewhere along that peak - your in tune). There may be other ways to tune,
but I
use spark length (plus smooth running and type of spark as criteria for
what I feel
is ideal).

I really like your sparkgap. I've never seen one of these built. Great to
see you
acheive these results right off. Lastly regarding the web page, there is
something
I don't like - "the blinking background". I think I began seeing double.
Just an
opinion (I'm full of opinions - always have been - always will be).

Take care and again "Congrats?",
Bart