[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Big Time Coil Problems...

In a message dated 2/15/00 5:13:48 PM !!!First Boot!!!, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<<
 Man, I'm really mad now.  Our coil is not working at all (again?!).  Our
 power source is 150v going into 15Kv/90ma transformer to make 18Kv.  We are
 using a 6" secondary wound with 22 gauge wire.  (Albeit short winding, it
 should at least be doing something!)    Our caps are mica transmitting caps
 in series to make .00325µf at 20Kv.  I believe this is where we are going
 wrong.  We can get no output at all from the coil no matter what.   Do we
 just need a better capacitor system to fix the whole thing?  I know the
 capacitance is really low, but I was hoping it would at least do something.
  It seems like after that last secondary blew up, everything just went to
 heck...  Ugh, I hope this gets better soon...
            Thanks,
                 Ryan

Ryan,

Is your primary spark gap firing?  I would guess you are way out of tune.
When I first built my 6" coil, I used a .01 ufd cap, then went to .025 ufd (&
larger toroid) and now use .05 ufd (& still larger toroid).  Have you done
the math to see if it will tune with your primary tapped out at the last
turn?  If you provide the details, we could do some calculations.  What is
the winding length, toroid size and primary dimensions?

Ed Sonderman