[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Big Time Coil Problems...

Does the spark gap fire? Can you draw an arc off each end of the NST to the
case? With 18KV/90mA you should be able to get at least an inch worth of an arc
from the NST without anything else connected.

If the gap doesn't fire, bring it in closer. If it doesn't fire, even when it's
very close, the caps could be bad. Do you have a cap tester?

If the gap fires, you could just be way out of tune. With that small cap you
would need a lot of turns on the primary to get tune with the 6" coil. I used
about .01 uF on my 6" coil and I needed about 18 turns on the primary to tune
it.

I would say if the transformer is good, go for a decent cap. An EMMC could
probably be built for under $50. Terry mentioned he had ordered a bunch of
great MMC caps, maybe he could set you up.

Travis