From: Tesla List [<mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Tuesday, 15 February 2000 5:50
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Toploads that bite

Original Poster: "Megavolt Nick" <tesla-at-fieldfamily.prontoserve.co.uk>

Hi Herwig,
                my comments:
> > > You might want to include a safety gap (with a series resistor) in
> parallel to the cap.The series resistor is essential in order not to
> exceed the maximum current of the cap in case of a flashover.
>
> Nick Field wrote:
>
> > Don't use a resistor - use a coil of 14guage wire - the resistor will
> not handle the voltage or current unless you use a huge bank of
> power resistors.
>
> Nick,
>
> - A coil having got several turns of course will limit the peak
> current. Drawbacks are mounting space and the menace of
> oscillations. In my system I've used 34 Ohms consisting of two
> paralelled 68 Ohm/100 W resistors. They are long enough to
> handle the voltage as well.
That surprises me, assuming a 10kV supply your peak current through each
resistor is more than 100A - not for very long but at that current level it
doesn't have to be. As for the oscillations - that is what the tank circuit
is there for.

> > I personally advocate discharge resistors (note I said 'discharge' not
> > 'equalising') across all the caps
> - Every single cap of the MMC has got its 10 MOhm bleeder of
> course. 10 MOhm is much to high to act as an equalizing resistor.
I didn't mean across each cap of the mmc, I meant across all standalone
capacitors - In the mmc case that would mean across the whole lot.

> >  I would also say to people that they should *physically* connect
> the buss bars with a clip lead while working on a tesla coil cap.
> - I agree if the cap was discharged before.
of course - and not with a screwdriver!!!

Regards
Nick Field