[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: High Voltage Filters

> Original Poster: "William Parn" <parn-at-fgm-dot-com>
>
> I believe in a center tapped NST that the house
> ground is already connected to the case.  At least
> that is how my center tapped FranceFormer is setup.
> You can check that with a quick ohm meter test.

On the "outdoor non-weatherproof" type of neon transformer that most of us
are using, there are two connections to the primary coil on a ceramic
bushing, insulated from the casing.  There is then usually a separate 1/4"
screw terminal welded directly to the transformer housing, which serves as
the ground connection to midpoint of the secondary, and the transformer
core.  This terminal should be connected to your heavy RF ground.

If you have smaller NSTs from a beer sign or similar, and they have 3-wire
cords and 3-prong plugs, you should remove the 3rd ground wire completely
and replace it with a 2-wire cord and 2-prong plug. Then, you can use the
casing screws to get a good case connection to a proper tesla-approved
ground (or counterpoise on a small system).

-Adam
adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net