[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Homemade Trasformer

In a message dated 2/13/00 10:41:22 PM !!!First Boot!!!, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<<  Hi all,

    --This is prolly about the thousanth time this has come up on the list,
 but a few more posts can't hurt--

    I am thinking of building my own transformer for my coil - not that I
 belive it'll be close to as good as a pig, but want to do it myself
 (yeah, i'm nuts).  I found dad's old EE book and ran the numbers, and I
 should only need 120 turns in the primary to choke the 240V/60hz mains
 current (as long as the core is bigger then 14 in^2), and 6000 or so
 turns in the secondary to give 12 kV.   So far, I have found that the
 biggest problem is the core -- I don't think it can just be a piece of
 barstock b/c it seems like it will saturate really easily -- is this
 right?  Also, eddy current and hysterysis (spelled wrong) are less in a
 laminated core, so I pulled this out of my shorts:  How about using many
 small metal "dowels" and coating them with a sealer of some sort (will
 polyurethane stick to metal??), then sticking them all together.  What
 you have now is a neat little bundle of rods - wrap the primary and
 secondary, then bend the whole mess around a garbage can to form a
 toroidal shaped tranny.  It seems like this should work.  Will it?

    Any comments apprecited.

    Thanks,

    Ross

Ross,

I think the easiest way to do this would be to find a large transformer and
rewind it.  I am in the golf car business and deal with golf car chargers
frequently.  One of these transformers would be a good size to use.  If the
priamary was good, you could just unwrap the secondaries and wind a new
secondary.  Should be good for about 1.5 kva.

Ed Sonderman