[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Hi All and Question

In a message dated 2/13/00 2:48:34 PM !!!First Boot!!!, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< Original Poster: Daniel Lockhart <DanielLockhart-at-letu.edu>

 Hi Everyone,

 I'm new to this list, and I have a specific question. I'm not real new to
 Tesla coils and subscribed to the Tesla-2 list for several years before
 coming to school ayear and a half ago. I shipped my small, 7200 watt Tesla
 coil (3.5-inch secondary, 24-inch sparks) from home in Colorado to school
 here in Texas.

 I made my spark gap to work at 10000 feet above sea level, and actually
 made it quite wide for that -- much to wide for around 1500 feet in
 elevation and the high humidity in Texas (relatively).

 What is the normal spark gap spacing for voltages of 12 kV? I'm planning on
 making another "RQ" type static spark gap with about six copper pipe
 electrodes. I've search the archives and can't find any specs. I have them
 at home, but not in my dorm.

 So, if someone could let me know what the accepted spacing is, what would
 be great! The supply voltage is 12 kV at 60 ma.

 Thanks much,

 Daniel Lockhart
 http://www.cmn-dot-net/~molly/index.html >>

Daniel,

I use a standard cylindrical RQ type gap on my small coil, using a 12 kv 60ma
transformer.  For this coil, I use 5 gaps set at .028" to .030" each.

Ed Sonderman