[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: "shorten the life" of a MMC cap array,

Hi Leslie,

At 02:14 AM 02/12/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello all:
>    I have a few more questions for the group.
>1.  Is it true that a small secondary coil say 3" diameter by 12" long wound
>with #28 wire, would be much harder "shorten the life" of a MMC cap array,
>then say a secondary coil say 4" by 30" wound with #20 wire?

The smaller coil would have a higher frequency.  Higher frequencies cause
much greater loss in the caps so they get hotter.  High break rates can
also heat caps up much faster.

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/MMCPower4.html

has equations that deal with this.

>2.  Have many people tried using the large disposable aluminum pans the kind
>used for roosting a turkey one inverted on top of the other, as a cheap
>toroid? Wouldn't look to great, but sure would save some money.

Any large smooth metal "thing" will work.

Cheers,

	Terry