[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Topload troubles

Hi,

Here's an interesting one for you:  Last month, my coil was running with
my aluminum duct toroid I would get about 10" sparks w/o toroid and 18"
with toroid.  Last week I set up my coil as usual, only this time I used
diferent wires for the primary connections.  With no topload, I was able
to get 18" arcs from a 15/30 and tapped at the same place as before.
Then, I tried it with the toroid, and taped at the place that it worked
before.  Nothing.  Placed a small screw on the toroid and got thin arcs,
3".  Moved the tap a couple of inches.  Still 3".  I tried this all the
way through two turns and saw the spark length go from 0 to 3" back down
to nothing.

Just so you know:
primary: 4nf SW capacitors, 15/30 nst, 30 degree, 8" i.d. .25" copper
tube spaced .25" saucer with plenty (15) turns, single static gap w/
blower.

secondary: 4" pvc form with 17" wound with #24.

toroid: 3" X 15"(o.d.) aluminum flexible duct.

Confused in Minneapolis,

Jason Raycroft