[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Paralleling dissimilar NST's

I'm not sure I agree that paralleling slightly dissimilar Vout transformers
will result in losses due to "fighting".  Consider this thought experiment.
Take the two 14.5 and 15.5 KV 30mA NSTs and wire them in parallel, observing
correct phasing.  Apply an AC milliampmeter across the outputs, essentially
shorting them.  Since Vout is now essentially zero, their open-circuit Vout
difference is no longer significant, but yet their short circuit currents
would combine to yield 60mA.  Open circuit, their voltages should average
out to 15.0KV,assuming similar winding resistance.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA