[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tube coil ideas using 600W tetrodes?

I have just come into a set of 4 4CX600J  (600W plate diss Tetrodes, good to
110MHz), and what's more, all the hardware (chimneys, sockets, etc.), power
supply parts, cooling plenums and fans, (the stuff that takes forever to
fabricate and a fortune to buy) (The 4CX600J/8809 is a low voltage, high
current tetrode specifically designed for exceptionally low intermodulation
distortion and low grid interception... from Eimac catalog:
http://www.eimac-dot-com/catalog/16384.htm )

Now these little puppies put out about a kW in RF amp service and around 1.9
kW running Class AB as an AF amp or modulator.  So there is some real
potential here to build a big tube coil (5-10 kW peak?)..

The question is, is this a good use for these tubes, or should I use these
to build a big HF linear amp (Take that, pesky neighbor) and get some other
lower frequency tubes for coiling...  After all, it seems a waste to run a
100 MHz capable tube at 100 kHz..

Jim Lux
phone:818/354-2075  fax:818/393-6875
Spacecraft Telecommunications Equipment Section
Jet Propulsion Laboratory   M/S 161-213
4800 Oak Grove
Pasadena CA 91109