[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 20 gauge wire

on 2/9/2000 9:14 AM, Tesla List at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Original Poster: "Reinhard Walter Buchner" <rw.buchner-at-verbund-dot-net>
>
> Hi Adam, Leslie, all,
>
>> Original Poster: Adam <adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net>
>> All the coil data I've collected is leading me in the opposite
>> direction from what Nick has suggested above. I wound
>> my 8" secondary with 20 AWG, but I'm now making a new
>> 22 AWG secondary in hopes of improving performance. My
>> database of other coilers' results shows that those getting
>> the best performance in my power class have high inductance
>> secondaries wound with #22-#25.

> Hmm, Iīm not sure I can agree with such a simple statement
> (no offense meant). Just for the fun of it, I did a little calculating
> below:

<snipped explanation>

> Bottom line: Donīt expect a great performance increase with your
> new coil former being wound with AWG 22 instead of AWG 20. If
> you see more than a 10% increase in output, it would *really*
> surprise me.

Well, I would be quite happy if I got 10% more spark from this secondary
alone, but my real reason for my building a larger secondary is to allow me
to use a larger primary cap and more input power.  I'm going from 0.01uF to
0.03uF, and I need both a larger secondary and a larger toroid to be able to
tune this system without having to build a larger primary coil (not an
option for me right now).

I had an 8" x 25" x #20 secondary, and I'm replacing it with a 9.625" x 29"
x #22 coil.  My old power supply was 9kV -at- 120mA NST, my new supply is 12kV
-at- 180mA from NSTs.